Saturday 21 July 2018

Back To School Prepping - Freebie #4



It's Fri-YAY! Today is the fourth and last freebie offering to help you prep for Back to School!

The previous freebies, Teacher Storage Labels and Student Data Sheets, can still be downloaded!

Today, I want to offer you help with prepping your writing units.  When planning, I like to have students complete a pre-assessment or an initial writing sample so I can determine what they already know, what concepts are developing, and what needs to be addressed. I then refer to my curriculum guide to determine what needs to be taught. Through the initial writing samples and the curriculum guide, I create a pacing guide.

The pacing guide is used then to create detailed instructional sessions (lesson plans).  I think about what I want the students to be able to do, how they work towards that goal, and how will I know if they have achieved the concept.

Wow! This is quite a process. To help you think about the possibilities of what to teach, today's freebie shares session topics or lists of important things for students to notice about each mode of writing. In addition, I have supplied a list of mentor texts for each mode of writing. Mentor texts serve to show, not just tell, students how to write well. Mentor texts help learners notice things about an author’s work that is unlike anything they might have done before, and empower them to try something new.

I hope you enjoy today's freebie. To download, please click on the link, Planning Guide with Mentor Texts and Writing Concepts, or the image below. PLEASE leave a comment to let me know if the freebies have been useful!





No comments:

Post a Comment